Monday, April 7, 2014

The best laid plans of mice and men.......and a moment in time...

"The best laid plans of mice and men....".  This is a very common phrase in my life.  I plan. I plan and I plan.  And, it used to be, before the heart attack, I never had difficulty executing the most intricate plans with the greatest of ease. (or, at least that was in my own opinion).  Since that day in 2010, my mind still is convinced that I have the creativity. My mind says that I have the time. My mind says a lot of things....but my BODY and STAMINA are in complete and utter disagreement.

When I worked in the radio business, the school, and most especially at Starbucks, multi tasking was simply a daily event.  Even as I became a Mom to 3, keeping track of everyone's schedules, medications, meetings was not only natural, it was , well, really quite simple.

In fact, I can remember a time being frustrated as I trained folks. I just couldn't get past the idea, when teaching the simplest tasks, methods, and procedures, why they "just couldn't grasp it". I mean, this wasn't "brain-science" as my kids refer to it. Making coffee: take the carafe, pour the milk, put under the steamer, pull the shots, pour it over the milk.....easy peasy, right? 

What I have come to realize, is that NOTHING is easy-peasy...not for EVERYONE.  We all have our strengths and we all have weaknesses, whether or not we are aware of them.

Following the event (sounds like a party if I refer to the heart attack as an "event", right?)...the simple acts that we all take for granted escaped my logical senses.  My day of shopping, now takes an additional day to recover my energy level.  If I am working on an event, party, or intense task which involves a lot of "brain time" - don't expect any "quality" from me for a few days following.

So, I continue to plan. Plan parties, plan events, plan to clean my house and do my laundry.(never thinking I'd ever have to "plan" chores). 

Some things come out better than others. Some things are complete failures. However, even within those failures, come a great deal of success. As we experience when we are growing up, we learn through trial and error. 

This is my new norm.  Everyday, I learn something new. New to me, anyway.  I probably learned it new yesterday, or even last week. The good news, is that most of the time, these things are NOT 'life-or-death' events that I forget. There's comfort in that.

But, today, I learn it again. And perhaps, again tomorrow or the next day, I will re-learn it once more.   But, for this moment, it's new. And it's exciting. And it's fresh.


I applaud those around me. Those that have stayed the course with me. I am certain it has been difficult, and I know , that it's even been quite comical sometimes. After all, you have seen me when I'm "on" and when I'm "off".

The differences that people make in your life varies not only by person, but by their actions, as well.  When you experience a life changing event, you come to realize that not much has changed since we were little.  We still need our families, our friends. We like to feel needed and cherished. We like to laugh and have fun. We love to hug and be hugged.

The difference, however, is that now we are mature enough to make the decision as to whom we spend our energy on. And what  we refuse to waste it worrying about.

As long as I stay true, honest, and give my full energy and dedication to all that I do, for myself, my family and others, when I fail, I can honestly say that I gave it my all and tried my best and never from lack of trying.

For some, that will never be good enough, nor acceptable.  I don't much worry about these people. I am certain, someday, they too will experience life from the other side.  Only then, will they truly know what is important.

So, go out today. Know that you have the power to make the difference for someone.....if only for a moment in your time. Who knows, your "moment" may be their "forever".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to say "Hey". Glad you stopped by.