Saturday, November 1, 2014

Boxing Music

Today, I feel like I've been boxing for 11 rounds, headed to #12. Beat up. Exhausted. Hurting in places I forgot existed.


Yet, I'm still hopeful of the last round.


As any sports fan knows, ANYTHING can happen in this last round. ANYTHING!!!


Championships, Gold Medals and Belts have been won. World Champions have been born.


So, when I am at this place, call it going into round 12, or the bottom of the 9th, or the last mile- however you refer to it- I still have hope. Albeit a speck, maybe less, it's still there.


Hope. Different meaning to different people.


But yet, the Same. It's what keeps us looking forward. Ahead. Up.


It's what keeps us alive.


Growing up, my favorite boxer was well known for his quote, " Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee".....I always thought that was a great saying....and for him, it was his technique to win at boxing. And it worked well. Know when to duck, weave, jab, and throw a mean hook. He referred to training as preparing for both a physical AND mental battle.


Ali was actually "born" from a distraught. 12 year old boy, whom had his bike stolen and promised to the reporting police to "woop" on the thief when found. To keep Ali, then Cassius Clay, out of trouble, they got him involved with a trainer. That trainer set Ali on a boxing path, redirecting his aggressions and ultimately leading him to a lifetime professional record of 56-5.


And. Just when you think he's "done", the tragedy he faces in his health, turns to be the strength that others need to survive.


As for me, I am definitely no Ali. But I have learned to duck and weave. We all have to. We also learn to get back on our feet and take the hits as they are landed..... Studying each battle so as to learn SOMETHING new from it. With that knowledge, we have the ability to increase our stamina and stealthy moves. We are better equipped to recognize appropriate times to sting like a bee and when to dance like a butterfly.


I still PREFER to dance when there is a choice. Put on music that is uplifting, or music that brings back GOOD memories.


AND DANCE.


So, for today, I put the "bee" away. Realizing that there are still more rounds to face. I'm hitting my "playlist". Tomorrow, I'll face the next inning with a little butterfly on my shoulder.


AND I will DANCE.


Turn up the volume. It's YOUR turn to choose what plays.....











No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to say "Hey". Glad you stopped by.