Monday, October 27, 2014

Halloween Costumes

OK. I know I am old-school. Maybe just Old.
Making my way through mounds and racks of over-priced, flimsy, uncreative Halloween 🎃 costumes is enough to make ANYONE drink. HEAVILY. Without remorse. REALLY.


Every year, I am in complete awe as to the "trending" costumes. I don't know why. It's not like I don't expect it. Every year, they are more money and less material. More cheaply made and less likely to last more than one night out.


So. THIS YEAR.... We went "old-school".. Growing up, it was called, "poor"...now, it's trendy to be "old-school".


Yes. The days of paying $39.99****plus plus plus...(valve stems not included) 💵 💵 💵😈 have replaced sheets and home grown costumes...... Ok, forgive me why I reminisce...
how many of you "got creative" with sheets (ghosts 👻 togas...) or curlers and bath robes or tinfoil...(don't ask, you'll never be the same)..... ??


We were actually "challenged" to be creative. Step outside the box. Make it ourselves from thrifty store finds, hand me down recycling... And just stuff around the house.


One of my favorite memories involves my brother (yes, the current motorcycle riding, gun toting, law abiding tough guy) in CURLERS. And he ROCKED THEM!!


We didn't have to be the latest "pop star" or superstar..we were cheerleaders and princesses and cowboys and Indians and Ghostbusters 👻 and firefighters..... There were tin men , lions and Dorothy with Toto.


And we had FUN!! We weren't looking for houses passing out "non-candy healthy snacks". In fact, THOSE were the houses targeted to be egged. Really. I'm dead serious.


So. Take my advice. Go old-school and get creative. Teach your kids to be creative. Take them to the second hand store and make them a REAL costume..challenge them to think.


 BREAK THE CYCLE!!! BOYCOTT the Retail Costumes. RESIST THE TEMPTATION!


And FOR HEAVEN'S SAKES MAN.....
DO. NOT. BE. THAT. HOUSE. WITH. THE. HEALTHY. TREATS!!


Make MEMORIES!


GO OLD SCHOOL!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to say "Hey". Glad you stopped by.